Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pumpkin picking

There's always so much that I want to do in the Fall. Visiting the pumpkin patches is a must for us. We've already visited 3 this month! (Wonder why I've been feeling so busy) We started going about 2 years ago, and now I want to make it a family tradition. We don't have a place that we go back to every year, but I think I found one this time.

On my birthday, the kids and I visited The Kinsey Family farm. They sold pumpkins and had a nice set up, but they actually grow Christmas trees. We might go back there for that this December. They had a nice little hayride that went around their property and stopped at the catfish pond where we got to feed the very hungry catfish.
found his little pumpkins


can you find my little pumpkins?


such a cute pumpkin!







our loot

Then, we got to visit the Denver Downs Farm in Anderson, SC while we visited with Granny and Pop. I thought it was pricey but it did include everything. The kids had their first experience in a corn maze although it was a bit of a sad one. The corn wasn't very tall due to the freeze they had last year or something like that so you could see the top everyone walking through the maze. The kids went down a very fast slide, rode the cow train, played in a kernel box (like a sandbox), walked atop large hayrolls (is that what you call it?) and such. We'll try for a taller corn maze next year.

we started out with an even smaller maze...




we actually got here last


kernel box...and corny angel!

someone didn't want to get their picture taken

so we just did what he did so we could get a family shot ;)

my awesome mother-in-law!

Finally, the winner of them all...Burt's Pumpkin Patch! This trip was a spur of the moment activity that my friend Pretty P and her son J decided to do last minute so we could make the most of a pretty fall day.
The reason I loved this place better than most places that I've been to is due to it's location. It's nestles in the North Georgia Mountain area and surrounded by the gorgeous fall colored trees. The hayride was so nice and serene and lasted about 20 minutes! There's really not that many fru-fru activities there which is something I like, too. The weather was also perfect.


my flying fairy











our loot
We will be carving the 2 large pumpkins for Jack-O-Lanterns. E-pie will design one and Honey will do the other. I will post the outcome when it's done. I will paint the gourds...one day. The kids will get to paint their mini pumpkins. I will make something yummy with the butternut squash and pie pumpkins- pumpkin spiced muffins and pumpkin cookies are on the menu. Oh! I almost forgot about roasted pumpkin seeds! Is it legal to have this much fun with pumpkins ;O

~ H

1 comment:

  1. What adventures! You've created so many wonderful memories for your children, family and friends!

    ReplyDelete