After all my praying, thinking, reading, and talking about it....it's time that I just do it. That's what all the other homeschooling moms out there are saying. I'm trying to think too much about it. Plan too much. Find a good starting point. The only good starting point is the one where we are at. It won't be easy but it will be worth it. So...I am jumping in. It's not as organized as I'd like it to be yet...kinda feel like I am all over the place. There are just so many helpful blogs out there with so many great ideas. I've done a few Montessori activities with C-Bear and he does enjoy them. E-Pie is attending preschool at a nearby church 3 days a week. I also need to work on disciplining myself like getting my rear out of bed in the morning before my kids are trying to get me up. Like getting to bed at night at a decent hour so that I get all my beauty sleep ;)
If you had talked to me a year ago, I would have dismissed the idea immediately. Not sure what has changed in me. I know I want to spend more time with my kids. I want to be a part of their day, to be their primary teacher, and to be there when they've reached an "aha" moment. Maybe it's also because I grew up away from my parents and I don't want to miss out on what my parents did. Maybe it's because I've been in the schools and know what it's like as a student and a teacher. Maybe I don't want them to push them to grow up so fast, to let them enjoy a little more of their childhood. Maybe it's what I feel God is calling me towards and what scripture has taught me, at least the scriptures that I have been exposed to. (I'm a new Christian. Still need to go to the Table of Contents to find the different books in the Bible. We started attending church in 2007 and was baptized in 2008. More about our that in another post.)
It's comforting to know that homeschooling is whatever and however we want it to be. It works around our families and we can mold it to meet our needs. How awesome is that??? An education that is tailored made and flexible. We're going to let E-Pie finish this year off in the church's preschool and we'll officially start her kindergarten year at home with us next year. Of course, I can't resist all those great activities and E-Pie loves to learn so we still try to do a few when we have time for it and then there's all those "field trips" that we are already taking.
This blog will be used to help record what we've done- an electronic portfolio, to give credit to those blogs that have been such a great resources to me, and to give back to the online homeschooling community by sharing our ideas and love of homeschooling.
~ H
How exciting! Parents are the most important teachers and you are going to be great at homeschooling. There are endless possiblities!
ReplyDelete