Monday, November 22, 2010

One diaper, eight years, and a wedding

Ahhh...Back from the beautiful beaches of Cancun, Mexico. We got to take a little trip out to Cancun to celebrate my brother's wedding. It was the first time to Mexico for me and the kids. The night before we left, Honey springs the news on me that they have implemented these body scanners at the airport, and if they make us walk through it, we are going to opt out and request the alternative, which is the pat down. He then describes these scanners to me, how we don't know how safe they are and they can basically see you naked. They say the information is not stored but that's a lie and so on. He recounts the experience of the guy in San Diego who was thrown out of the airport for refusing the scanner and other horror stories. I'm upset because he is telling me this the night before we are leaving. But because I am his wife, I have decided that I am not going to argue with him about this. If he thinks that it's better for our family, then I will stand by his decision. But I am fretting it a bit because I'm thinking, maybe we won't be at my brother's wedding. He tells me it will be alright and I believe him...and I pray about it. :)

We are all ready to go before 6am. We had the kids sleep in their clothes the night before so we wouldn't have to change them. The airport scenario was a good one, too. The kids and I didn't have to walk through the scanner, but Hubby was scanned and patted down. He was fine with it. Apparently, he was just worried about the kids and me and not about himself. The kids were super! They were awake enough to pull their own rolling suitcases and carry their backpacks. I figured if we are paying full price for their seats, we will be getting the maximum amount of luggage allowed for each person.





We stayed at the Dreams Resort. It was beautiful! The view from our room was gorgeous! We got to see dolphins every day. Everything was included! I was thinking how easy this trip was. I just booked it because I knew that we were going for my brother's wedding. I wasn't about to miss my brother's wedding. I didn't have to look for the best and cheapest place to stay and compare prices and locations. I just booked it. Now, there should be an EASY button for that. I wished all our trips could be as easy as this one. I guess it could if we didn't have to worry about money, but alas, I will continue to pinch pennies and compare prices for all our future trips.
dolphin lagoon
up close and personal with the dolphins


our pretty room
The view from our balcony
enjoying the good food and drinks






So, you're probably wondering what I mean by one diaper in the title of this post. Well, that is how many diaper I packed for our trip for C-bear. If you have a weak stomach or prefer not to read about C-bear's potty issues, I would suggest skipping over this paragraph. Just look for the next set of pictures. Anyhow, I completely forgot to pack diapers. I had my mind on him being potty trained that it slipped my tired mind that he would need them for nap and bedtimes. The only reason we even had that one was because when he woke up the morning we left, I took it off of him and stuck it in my bag. The first 2 or 3 days were fun...he would tell me he went poo in his underwear. Luckily for me, it wasn't the mushy kind so very easy to clean. I also had the forethought to bring laundry detergent...the sample size ones...go me! Unfortunately, laundry is not included in the cost of the resort. Pee accidents were fewer. After the third day, we were pretty much accident free. That one diaper lasted us the entire trip. He ended up wetting it one morning when he got up. So, lesson? Potty train your kid on vacation where they have marble floors ;) We did!

We didn't really venture out of the resort. We figured for the price that we paid, we were going to get all we could from the resort. Plus, I don't think the kids would have enjoyed long car rides to do expensive excursions or walking around the city so we could go shopping. Maybe when they get older. Right now, the beach, pool, and the food kept them pretty busy. They also had a lot of new "friends" that they could play with (drive crazy)...aka my brother and S's friends. Honey and I did have a night out with the group when my parents flew in. They were celebrating the bachelor and bachelorette by going to a club called Coco Bongo. When we heard how much the tickets were going to cost per person, we almost backed out. My brother looked a little hurt when we asked if he would be upset if we didn't go. He told us that there was a  really unique show. We're glad we decided to go. It was truly an experience. The price paid for the show and all you can drink, but I guess Honey and I paid for the show. It was like a circus show around you. I've never been to a Circus de soleil show but that's what people were comparing it to and we were standing in the middle of it. We definitely had a great time and it was good we got to celebrate with my brother and S.






E-pie showing off her painted nails :)

The many faces of C-bear







Don't let the smile fool you. This was hard work!

the lighthouse on the resort

C-bear's sand castle with a little help  ;) taken by J
My brother and S did book a sunset party cruise for the group the evening before the wedding. I don't think we were quite the party crowd that the crew was expecting and the waters were a little rough but the experience just made me so much more in awe of our God and his beautiful creation.
Everyone sitting front and center before they got wet ;) taken by J





My brother's pants got all wet just as the boat started...


 Well, the eight years refer to how many years we are celebrating in our marriage. Yep! This was also our anniversary trip. It was just a week early but who's counting?  Plus, this year's gift is bronze. We figured we would try to get "bronze" for our anniversary, but that didn't happen. It's ok...that's how we'll remember this year's gift to ourselves. So here's to my high school sweetheart, my soulmate, loving husband and best friend...I love you! I am so lucky that it was in the Lord's plan that we meet all those years ago.








And of course, there's the wedding :)
My little brother and sweet S chose this beautiful location to tie the knot. C-bear and E-pie were so excited to be in the wedding. The weather was beautiful! The bride was gorgeous and the groom was pretty handsome, too ;) I am so proud of my brother for his beautful speech and declaration of love to his new wife. I am so proud of my kids for doing such a great job in the wedding and being on their best behavior at the wedding.











taken by J






taken by J

taken by J
taken by J









All in all, the trip was a success. Happy memories shared by many. Thanks to my brother and S for making this trip happen for all of us. Although, we are happy to be home and getting geared up for Thanksgiving festivities...no rest for Mommy and Daddy! We hope that all our friends and family have a wonderful Thanksgiving with much to give thanks for.



~ H

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! What an amazing amazing experience! All of the pictures look so beautiful and the kids did so awesome!! I teared up when I saw the one of Huey and your parents walking down the aisle together. Sandy and Huey look so happy and Sandy looks breathtaking! Congrats to all (and Cooper too)! What a perfect family adventure!

    ReplyDelete