Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Memorizing scripture

In our small group, we are encouraging each other to memorize scripture that will remind us daily to focus on our Lord and to encourage us throughout the day. As a tip for remembering, I write it on our bathroom mirror with a dry-erase pen so that I will be sure to see it and even have time to read it. It began with...(and this is from my memory)

All Scripture is God-Breathed useful in teaching, correcting, rebuking, and training in righteousness so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped to do all good works.  2 Timothy 3:16-17

After I memorized that one, I "stumbled" upon a very helpful verse that I need to remember everyday and proceeded to memorize it...

Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and become angry because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. James 1:19-20

I am also working with my kids on memorizing scripture. There are lots of great homeschooling sites that share what they do and have free printables. I am learning alongside with my children. :)

update: I found this post on my Google Reader the day after I posted this on I Can Teach My Child and found it perfect to share!

I try every morning to be in God's Word even if I didn't manage to wake up before the kids (still working on it and some days it does happen) and they are doing laps around me. I know that sometimes I've made excuse about not picking up my Bible, but I can find peace and quiet in the midst of chaos and noise with the Lord's help. So I read.

I have found that when I don't find time for God and His Word in my daily life...I begin to spin out of control. It's not noticeable at first. I get the "I can do this...fix this...handle this-by-myself" attitude. I can probably go a few days. Then, the stress, doubts, and worries seem to find their way in...and suddenly I find that I can't do it by myself, and I am a mess and the people around me (the ones I love) have suffered for it, too.

I also try to pray every night before I go to bed. Sometimes, it's so easy to say, "not tonight...I'm so tired...I promise I will do it tomorrow..." But what I am really saying is, "Lord, I am too tired to talk to you....I am more important than everyone else who need my prayers..." I don't want to say those things. I know that God knows my innermost thoughts even before I speak or think them so I could argue, why do I have to actually say it or think them in prayer? That's almost like never saying the words "I love you" or "I'm sorry" to the ones we love because we know they know...almost....God is too big for little ole me to try to explain...He just loves me...and you...and everyone in the world that he created. That's all there is to it. He loves me and wants a relationship with me. Can't have a very good relationship if I don't actually try to communicate.

I am still very young in my spiritual walk with the Lord. I've only just begun but I am loving it! He is the reason I sing...apparently, I don't always know that I am singing. It just starts out as a little humming in my heart.

That's all...just wanted to share that with everyone tonight. Goodnight...and God loves you, too, and wants to hear from you as well.

~ H

No comments:

Post a Comment