Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Chemistry 101

I am not sure if I mentioned that hubby talked me into buying a science curriculum for our kids...to start this summer :O. He sat through the session that was given by Gravitas Publications- Real Science 4 Kids and was so excited about it that it was quite cute. It's hard not to be excited too when he is. So we decided that we would buy the first set and try it out this summer. I had wanted to start sooner this summer but found myself busy with other things. Finally, I decided that no time would seem like a good time and just dove in. (Great exercise in homeschool- gotta just do it!) The cool thing about it was that it didn't need to happen at a certain time. I just picked up the book and read the first chapter to the kids in the morning. It was a short chapter with few words and colorful illustrations. Then, after their naptime and before dinner, I did the little "experiment" that they had for them. I made E-pie her own little journal (paper stapled together) to record (draw) her observations and thinking while I recorded her words. By the end of the day, both kids could tell us that everything is made up of atoms. E-pie could tell us that things are different because they are made up of different atoms and that when you put atoms together, you make molecules!!! That felt pretty awesome. So we will continue with our lessons. I even wonder if we can take it on the road with us ;)




~ H

No comments:

Post a Comment