Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Counting down the days to Christmas!

It's December!!! This month always seems to fly by because there is something going on everyday...well, of course there's schooling. We have activities with church, families, and friends. Don't get me wrong. Although, it is a busy time, I really enjoy most everything we do (shopping not so much...online shopping this year!). I love the enthusiasm that my kids are experiencing especially when it comes to helping others during this time. I love visiting with friends and family...sharing meal or just cookies and a chat. I love the togetherness that happens during the holidays. 


We are doing our Advent Calendar of activities again this year. I made this last year and inside each little box (made from holiday cards that we have received from years past) is a little treat for each of the kids and an activity that we will do that day. Here is a list of most of the activities that we are planning to do this year give or take a few. I change things around as needed. But unlike years past where I will just "modify" on the spot, this year, I have to actually have the correct paper in the box because a certain someone is starting to read a bit ;)




Buy Christmas tree and decorate
Make a Christmas craft
Bake cookies with friends
Drive around and see Christmas lights
Watch The Christmas Story Movie
Play a family game
Sit by the fire, drink hot chocolate, and read Christmas stories
Open stocking
Celebrate the reason for the season with friends with a Happy Birthday Jesus party
Visit Santa Claus
Make a gingerbread house
Stuff, stamp, and mail our Christmas cards
Watch a Christmas play
Eat snowman pancakes for dinner
Write a letter to Santa
Make Christmas cards 
Bake a birthday cake for Jesus
Make ornaments for our tree
Take a candlelit bubble bath
Have a dinner picnic under the Christmas tree
Stuff stockings for kids in need
Help Mommy wrap presents
Go caroling
Listen to Christmas music and dance
Go to Stone Mountain
Ride a Christmas train
Go ice skating
Visit a live nativity


We added a Jesse Tree this year, too. I heard about it from a friend at church and was very interested so I did some of my own research. I wanted to refocus this Christmas on the reason for this season- Jesus! If you have never heard of the Jesse Tree or want to know more about it, I have compiled a few resources  that I am using or have found interesting. Some include printables.


A Holy Experience

Tired Need Sleep
a Dolce Vita




E-pie graciously donated her little tree to become our Jesse Tree.


Day one ornament


We are also doing the Elf on the Shelf. We started last year or maybe it was 2 years ago...I can't quite remember. E-pie named him Dopey since she was really into Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. He is not a mischievious elf. He just hides in different places each night...Except when we forget to move him the night before and tell the kids that he must really like that spot since he came back to it after visiting Santa.


Hiding in the barn...E-pie tells us, "I have good news and I have bad news...good news is I found Dopey. Bad news is  he is in our toy."


Dopey heard us reminiscing about one of E-pie's first ornament from her grandparents so he decided to show us he was listening... 
I have read 2 posts regarding Christmas and Santa that I really like:
The Christmas Conundrum by Jen Hatmaker


The Truth About Santa
But, I really don't want to take away from the magic of Christmas because my kids will not be at this stage of believing for very long. I think if we keep our focus on Jesus and not the commercialization of Christmas, we can also keep the magic of Christmas.


Anywho...hoping this season is one filled with joy for you and your family. Our Christmas cards have arrived. I have hopes that they will be mailed out before the New Year ;)
Coming Soon...I will be posting our Annual Christmas letter online this year!


Blessings,
H


PS My links are broken somewhere and not sure how to fix it. Sorry if they are not working for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment