Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Ack! I didn't make a homemade Christmas card!

Yes, dear friends, I have not hand-made our Christmas cards this year. I know...it's so unlike me.  Even with all the craziness of the past holidays, I still managed to tweak out some type of h-marked card but not this year. I've decided to take a break and be still...ok, not really still at all, but trying to keep my sanity and still enjoy this season with my family and get some sleep. I was a little back and forth about it. A big part of me still really wanted to cut out cardstock and other shapes and maybe do some stamping, but the saner part of me decided otherwise. My sane side really won out, because there wasn't a good recent family picture of us that wasn't blurry or someone had funny eyes. I finally decided on using a picture of us that my brother took of us at E-pie's ballet recital. Upload, choose a card, and pick up. Voila! That's easy! Even E-pie told me today as I was still pndering over my decision to order photo cards, "It's okay Mommy, it was really quick." Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with photo cards. I even have photo card envy because there are some cute ones out there I know I can never make myself. Anyhow, I used photocards before the kids were born. I guess I became more compulsvie about making things myself after having kids. Which I just realize is kind of funny.

Before the kids were born, I ordered photo cards and did things quick and easy. After having kids, I started making home-made cards, which took longer and costed more probably. Hmmm...makes me wonder what I did with all the time I used to have. That's right...I taught ;) (Side note: I have so much respect for those of you teaching and raising children. You still manage to find the time to do what you need to do) I know I've definitely picked up more hobbies and interests since having children that I did not have before.  Now, I read too many blogs about so many crafty moms and want to do it all, unfortunately, reading those blogs really eats up my precious time, too. If I had all the time in the world, I think I would want to make all my children's clothes. I would also make some handmade toys. I would have scrapbooked everything since their birth (I still have not finished E-pie or C-bear's first years, and they are now 4 and 2). I would have more paintings and artsy creations up around our house. I would sew other household stuff and go thriftstore shopping so I can transform old stuff into new, good looking stuff. And read more blogs about it.

But the reality of it all is I can't.  I have 2 wonderful children who needs their Mommy to be present in more than just body but also in mind. I have a husband who actually loves to spend time with me. I have a home that God has blessed me with so I need to take care of it. I also happen to enjoy my sleep. So I can't be the Super Mom who does it all, but I can be a Super Mom who does all she can for her family.

In the end, who am I doing it for? My kids or me? Or for others to see? I have realized that some times I need to be better about balancing my time and organizing my priorities. I have learned from a great mentor mom that we can do our best when we start the day off by praying that the Lord guide and help to sequence our day for us, because it's so easy to get distracted by all that there is to do and possibly to do.

I still fall into overplanning and doing too many project mode, but I am working on it and leaning on God to help guide me back to where I need to be for me and for my family.

I hope our holiday card will find it's way to you, soon. (Still have to mail it.)
And I hope that you are enjoying your holiday season so far :)

~ H

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed your handmade cards in previous years, but I do love photo cards and can't wait to get yours!

    ReplyDelete