Anywho...Our small group decided to try out this experiment. So this first month is Food. We don't really think about it too much. I mean we eat what we want usually. Sometimes, we can be pretty wasteful, too. We are pretty picky...even those of us who claim we aren't...we still are. It's just your perspective. We each picked 7 foods that we would eat this month. Salt, pepper, and olive oil were sanctioned seasoning. We are also taking vitamins supplements this month.
My seven foods are:
- chicken
- rice
- eggs
- Broccoli
- Carrots
- Bananas
- Tomato (it's a fruit and can be used like a vegetable!)
- Chicken
- rice
- shredded wheat cereal (easy breakfast and snack option if wife is still sleeping)
- broccoli
- carrots
- apples
- coffee (i'm jealous about this one, but he needs this to stay awake in front of the computer all day)
I will be documenting some of my days on here this month if you are interested in finding out how we did on this journey (and if you have nothing else to do ;) Knowing me, I will have a hard time blogging about it all but at least you can catch a glimpse of some of this month's journey. It will not be posted until the end of the month.
The day before our first day, I drank a good amount of coffee. Our small group got together for our "Last Supper" and we all brought various goodies to share and stuff our faces with. Time to BRING IT!
Day 1
Today has not been so bad except for a dull headache all day from the lack of caffeine. I really wanted something to snack on but nothing on the list for good crunchy snacking. Too many carrots and I will turn orange. I could feign a really bad spray-on tan. Grape tomatoes were working but definitely feeling the urge to change bananas to cereal option since I hadn't eaten a banana yet. Kids were excited about giving up some foods. Super proud of them. They even enjoyed our first 7 dinner.
Day 2
I will just have to take my coffee through my olfactory senses as I make it for Hubby. No sign of headache yet. Still contemplating switching out bananas for cereal. Since we have slightly different lists, I keep forgetting that Hubs doesn't have tomato on his list. Headache finally hit after lunch and I napped it away. Confession time...I had some of Hubby's cereal because I was intending to replace the bananas but I had an epiphany during dinner...RICE CAKES! and BANANA CHIPS! so I am switching back. Hope you don't hate me. I ran out to the Asian supermarket that night and bought some.
Day 3
Rice cakes are my new best friend!
Day 4
The headaches have subsided! At least for today. I am sure that being outside on this beautiful sunny day helped, too. The kids and I walked to the park. They played while I chatted away with my sweet friend about our 7 experiences. She told me that they sell chicken sausage at the store...so, guess what? I went and got some! Hubby will be super excited about this little change. I also bought him some apple cider. Another sweet surprise. I got me some banana chips...yummmm.
I also noticed today that I was not as cranky as I have been lately. I did pray fervently about it last night...for patience and love for my children..everything that 1 Corinthians 4 talks about. They are the ones that have to suffer if Mommy is cranky and moody. This fasting is allowing me to draw closer to God...not to rely on me but to rely on him. In my weakness He is strong and He will carry me through. Only 24 more days! Staying strong! :D
Day 5
The kids and I were invited to Cracker Barrel for lunch by the In-Laws...it would have been rude to tell them no so we went. No twisting of arm needed. I did stay as close to the diet guidelines as I could get out. It was a nice treat though..I am not complaining ;)
Day 6
We were invited to a friend's birthday party. She was really sweet and made sure to have some food on hand for us during her brunch meal. We have to confess we did eat some carrot cake cupcakes because it would have been rude not to eat the cupcake at the BIRTHDAY party. I did avoid the frosting. We did not want to be rude...and we are not perfect legalists either.
OK...I have always been bad about sticking with something (like keeping current on my own blog) so this is as far as I got with the documenting of each day of this food month.
But overall, we stayed true to our diet. I did switch out bananas for yogurt in the middle so I could get in more calcium and Vitamin D. Hubby took coffee off his list for a week and did yogurt as well but had to go back on coffee when he could not focus at work. One cup did the trick for him. When we were invited out to eat with family which totaled about 4 times this month, we tried our very best to stay within the guidelines.
Today is Day 28 of our journey. We will celebrate as a small group (sans children) this evening by going to a Mexican restaurant and eating it up! I am so excited to share our journey's confessions and struggles with one another and also to eat chips and salsa among many other things.
What I have learned from this experience...we are blessed beyond words to have what we have. We eat what we want when we want. There is no lack of whatsoever. If we crave this, we go to the store/restaurant and get it. It allowed me to be thoughtful of the millions around the world that does not have the luxury of convenience and variety. I learned that I could do this...that God gave me the strength and perseverance to get through each day on the 7 foods. I had energy and was still likable. I had to be intentional. I could not be lazy and wait around for meal times to figure out what to eat. I had to plan and prep food. Hubby brought lunch from home when he went to work so I had to make sure to have leftovers so that he would have something to eat. It was not something I could whip up early in the morning while half asleep. If I didn't have his lunch ready, he would not eat the entire day and that would have made for a grumpy husband and that he was not. He did miss his evening beer, though. I had to be creative on how we could cook chicken, rice, broccoli, and carrots...how many different combinations and methods. Here are some pictures of the dishes that I remembered to capture on camera.
Overall, we did it and it was definitely a learning experience. I hope this stays with us as we move forward...to be thoughtful and grateful for what we are blessed with. Next month is clothing....





No comments:
Post a Comment