Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy 2012

Happy New Year's to all our friends and family!


I hope everyone had a great Christmas and are feeling fresh for a new year. I love a new year...feels like I can start fresh again. I have this "clean-desk" syndrome where I feel like I can't start on anything unless I have cleaned up my "desk". Sometimes, this makes for not getting anything done because the "messy desk" is my excuse or not getting anything done because I am continually in the midst of "cleaning" my desk. Well, a new year is like a metaphorical new and clean desk.


Well, we ended 2011 on a pretty good note. Hubby and I went to watch Cake in concert for  NYE with some friends at the Fox Theater. It was a little crazier and better than I expected. It brought back memories of our dating years...and bucket seats. The grandparents came down to celebrate 2011 with the kids and brought with them some fun party accessories. It was too bad the kids weren't feeling well. I woke up on New Year's to three sick babies...hubby got sick, too. We had to bring C-Bear in to the doctor's yesterday because he complained of his ear hurting and sure enough, a severe ear infection. So Mommy has not been sleeping well because C-Bear hasn't been sleeping well. I feel like I have a newborn again. 


trying to "pop" a homemade popper I made




Enough complaining though...for ONE of my New Year's resolution, I am CHOOSING JOY in all situations. I have been thinking about that a lot lately especially after a sermon one day at church concerning this passage in the Bible:

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:4-7


And then, I have been following some other incredible mom's on their blogs (Ashley, Anita, Sara)and it's amazing how God's strength shines through them in their words. It's amazing how they can encourage others and bless others even in the midst of their pains. This can only be done through the incredible love and faith they have in our Lord. And then I look at my life and my proposed "troubles or woes"...what do I have to complain about? What do I have to be angry about? What do I have to be sad about? It really is OUR choice how we want to look at things and I want to choose joy in all circumstances...to be thankful. 


For example, my kids and husband are sick, the kitchen sink is not in working order, and the house is a mess of Christmas decor and other normal household messes, but I am thankful that we have a comfortable home that keeps out the elements. I am thankful we have medication to help with pain and discomfort. I am thankful that my family is not too picky and can eat PBJs all day long since cooking is hard without a sink. I am thankful that we have the things that we have that causes the mess we make. We even started school today in spite of it all. The kids and I had a great first day. It felt good to have school again. We were on break for way too long. Even E-pie told me she missed school. I have to admit, I did, too :D


I have some other resolutions, but they might not come true if I tell you...ok, I can't  blame others for my lack of discipline...which is another thing I would like to work on again this year. I need it in many areas of my life in order to plan my days better...meals, lessons, waking up, going to bed, etc. I would also like our family to include more exercise into our lives especially the kind that happens outdoors. I would like to try again at reading through the Bible in a year. I got through most of the New Testament and Proverbs last year using the One Year Bible. This year, I will try the chronological Bible reading plan on my phone. Also, I would like to better spend my time when it comes to media devices...they seem to be a blackhole for my time. It's like the Target syndrome...you go in for one item but leave with more than you need and hours have flown by. Alissa at Creative with Kids has a great post about how one should be more intentional with one's time when on the computer. 


I am sure there are other things I would like to do or not do but I have not made a list yet. They probably don't need to be on the list since I can't think of them off the bat. I think the ones listed above is a good start for me. What are your New Year's resolutions?


~H







No comments:

Post a Comment